Chapter 9

To effectively manage your classroom, chapter 9 talks about the importance of student-teacher relationships. The ability to connect with your students individually can be just as important as what they are learning in class. In my experience, there are always those students that I really get to know over a span of time. These are the students whom I’ve seen make the most progress academically. They have a very open relationship with me and are not afraid to come to me with personal problems or questions about class assignments. I can see they are intrinsically motivated by their effort, and they know in their hearts that they have my approval. I also agree with the fact that it’s more effective to take a proactive approach and establish rules and guidelines from the get-go. The student is less apt to think the teacher is out to get him or her with a punishment designed specifically for him or her. Rather, the student knows if he or she breaks a rule, just like any other student, he or she will suffer the predetermined consequences. No longer is it subjective, but objective. I also believe the rules and regulations should be printed and displayed as a constant reminder. Better yet, have the students take part in designing the rule chart. Not only will this firmly instill the rules into their minds, they will also have a sense of pride and ownership in having helped design the rules.

Resource: http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/archives/classmanagement.shtml

2 thoughts on “Chapter 9

1. Hi, Jesse.
    I think that in order for things to work in the classroom, there has to be a good balance between relationships with students, engaging lessons, and effective classroom management. No small task, to be sure. I think that it’s really helpful if those relationships and classroom routines can be established at the very beginning so that you don’t have to pedal backwards. Some of the most “difficult” students can be turned by a teacher who truly expresses care. I know a teacher who met with the same student for ten minutes each day of the school year…This was a kid whom other teachers had totally given up on, and observers couldn’t figure out why this teacher had such a positive response from him. The teacher never publicized his strategy, but when a few of us found out the efforts he had been making with this student, it definitely made more sense! Obviously, we can’t spend one-on-one time with each of our students every day, but maybe we can attempt to have some moments like that with each of them. This same teacher had incredibly high standards and expectations in his classroom, but the students never realized how “strict” he was because he was so enthusiastic and made learning so fun. If he could wrap up and sell whatever it was he did, I’d definitely buy. As it is, I constantly pick his brain for advice and give him grief because he retired before my daughter could be in his class!

2. Jesse – I like your idea of students helping to come up with the main rules and then posting them on a chart. At the kindergarten I volunteer at there are the “Big 5” rules that are posted throughout the school. These are the basic rules for non-violence and respectful behavior. Every week, even this far into the school year, the students recite them at least once a week. With young students, this is important. Not only do they recite them, but they have motions that go along with them so they can help remember them.

Then when there is a behavior problem, most can be labeled as one of the “Big 5”, and therefore an easy reminder can happen, as the student definitely knows these rules. Setting it up from the beginning seems to be so important.